Sunday, August 22, 2010

Cake Decorating Class

My sister-in-law, Kathy and I decided that we were going to take some cake decorating classes. The first week in class we learned the basics of making icing and baking a cake. We also learned how to use the star tip and deocrated cookies using the star tip.


Our second week in class we had to bake a 8 in. round to bring to class so we could learn to ice it correctly and do gel transfers. We also learned how to make a ribbon rose, pipe dots and do curvey lines.



We didn't have a lot of time to deocrate the cake after we did the gel transfer (which you can see a little of my purple gel if you look at the top of the cupcake) because it took so long for the cakes to harden after we iced them. Also, my wax paper stuck to my icing (which it isn't supposed to do by the way) so my icing is a little lumpy.

Our third week in class we learned how to do drop flowers, shaggy mums, leaves, and puff flowers



Here is my puff flower. My icing wasn't quite stiff enough to stand up like it was supposed to, but overall I think it was pretty good.



Here are my shaggy mums and leaves on top of my cupcakes. I thought they turned out pretty well and they were fun to do.

Next week is our final week of class and we are supposed to fully decorate a cake. I'll keep you posted on how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment